Monday, February 4, 2013

POST SUPER BOWL LETDOWN

          It is the time of year I dislike the most.  It’s still Winter and will be, on and off, for weeks.  One day the Sun will be shinning and the temps will be mild, the next it will be snowing or raining or both.  Just when one thinks that it’s warming up the temperatures will plunge for a few days.  The days are getting longer, but once Daylight Savings Time starts it will still be dark when I get up.  But the worst thing for me – there is no more football.
          I love football.  I love the game.  I love watching two groups of very large men clash on the field of battle.  I like watching the plays, the strategies, the passing, catching, running.  I’ve been a fan of the game since I was a teenager when my father and I would watch what was then called “Giant’s Football” on Sundays and he would explain the plays, the calls, the scoring.  And since then Sunday in the Fall and Winter is Football Day.
          I just love Sundays.  I’m in the West so the games start at 10 in the morning.  I don’t get the games I want to watch – we sort of have to watch what the networks want us to watch in whatever region we are in, else I would watch Green Bay ever single week.  But I often get to watch three or four during the day and then the best of Sunday evening programming – Sunday Night Football. 
          I plan my Sunday’s around which games are on.  Some teams I never watch, some I watch just hoping they will lose, and there are my few faves.  I’ve been a Green Bay fan since those days watching with Dad cause that was his favorite team.  There are a couple of teams I watch cause I like the quarterbacks – Drew Brees, Peyton Manning and of course Aaron Rogers, my fave.  And some teams I watch cause they are interesting to watch, especially if they have had less than stellar seasons and are starting to show power and promise. 
          Back in the days when I was living in San Francisco I was a huge 49er fan.  Those were the days of Joe Montana, Jerry Rice and coach Bill Walsh.  Great team – then.  The current team simply does not and will never measure up. 
          So here I am in the post Super Bowl doldrums.  Baseball is two months away and one cannot hike in the High Sierra when there is snow on the ground.  The down days, the doldrums. 
          It will be months before football returns.  I’m sure I will find something to do with my Sundays – but for a few weeks there will be a gap, a space, a letdown.  My early morning excitement checking out what games will be on, when I can fit in a quick trip out to get a latte, the spreadsheet that keeps track of wins and losses that I keep every year – adds to the enjoyment.  No punts, no passes and no pile ups. 
          But April will come and maybe this year the Red Sox will be better. 
               

No comments:

Post a Comment